Social media allows the University to share what is happening on campus with the world and, more importantly, it allows us to hear directly and immediately from students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni. , fans and friends on what’s important to them.
This “conversation” is what makes social media so different from traditional forms of corporate communication.
And, as with any communication strategy, it is important to have well-thought-out goals, strategies and tactics for the University’s social media presence.
Social Goals and Strategies for the University of Nevada, Reno
These are the objectives and strategies of the main channels of the University. Ideally, the goals, strategies, and tactics of your specific school, college, or unit may differ, but they should support and align with the overall goals of the University.
- Share the best University content to increase brand awareness. Our goal is to increase awareness of the University of Nevada at Reno to a variety of audiences, including prospective students, current students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, the community, and the state. We take advantage of our social media platforms to present and reintroduce the University to our audiences, in order to better interact with them through social media. The best way to get our audience to engage with us is to sync our content well. Our top performing posts are timed based on what’s happening in our community, state, country, and world. In addition, efforts are aimed at supporting the initiatives and vision of the University’s Strategic Plan.
- Listen, engage and learn. Our goal is to be aware of the sentiment towards the University of Nevada, the Reno name and brand, and to try to influence it positively. We are constantly monitoring conversations about the University, listening and responding as needed. We strive to provide customer service and also participate in those conversions by responding and sharing compelling stories that engage our audience. We also elevate our community posts to the University where appropriate using major channels, thereby giving them additional recognition and also sharing high quality user-generated content with our audience. We analyze previous conversions and re-evaluate to improve future communications.
- Tell the story of the University. Our goal is to promote what sets the University apart and encourage fans to become brand ambassadors. That’s why we share human interest stories about our students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Since we are located in Reno, Nevada, we also share the highlights of our hometown and aim to create true brand awareness of “The Biggest Little Town”.
- Act like a pack of wolves. Our goal is to work together and make our content on social networks as efficient as possible. That’s why our goal is to retweet and repost content from our students, staff, alumni and other University accounts.
- Share research. As an “R1” institution according to the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, we aim to share the University’s work on creating research and graduate programs. We do this by sharing videos, news experts, research stories, faculty profiles, awards and honors, and interdisciplinary news to highlight the great work that is taking place at our university. .
- Communicate in times of crisis. We use social media platforms to ensure emergency communications reach our community as quickly as possible. We relay information to our students, faculty, staff and community during an active emergency, provide information in the aftermath of an emergency, and serve in conjunction with texts, alerts and website information. We specifically use Twitter and Facebook to transmit real-time information directly from the appropriate sources. We also use social media to monitor conversations about controversies and crises and use this information to inform our overall communications strategy in relation to these events and topics.
The content on this page has been adapted and with permission from our peers at Vanderbilt University and Vanderbilt University Medical Center, leaders in higher education social media.