NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
New York police have deployed patrols and increased counterterrorism resources to parts of the city, including around churches and places of worship in communities of color, following Saturday’s horrific attack at a grocery store from Buffalo.
Upstate New York law enforcement officials have released their first booking photo showing 18-year-old Payton Gendron, who they say opened fire on a Buffalo grocery store, killing 10 people and injuring at least three others. Eleven of the victims were black, while two were white, police said.
Meanwhile, the New York Police Department, or NYPD, said in an email to Fox News Digital that investigators found ‘no threat to New York City’ from the attack. from Sunday, but said he had moved resources “on an abundance of caution.”
“[W]We have moved counterterrorism and patrol resources to pay special attention to a number of locations and areas, including major places of worship in communities of color,” the NYPD spokesperson wrote. , Sergeant Brendan Ryan.
CRIME SCENE PHOTOS:
Disclaimer: the following contains graphic images
Ryan added that the department immediately contacted the Buffalo Police Department to offer assistance. The department also began searching its own databases to see if Gendron had a connection to New York City, or if he had any information about the alleged shooter worth sharing.
A law enforcement source familiar with the investigation said the NYPD has so far found no connection between the suspect and New York City.
BUFFALO SHOOTER ATTACK LIKELY PLANNED MONTHS IN ADVANCE, AUTHORITIES SAY
Gendron, who is white, went to the Tops grocery store around 2.30pm and immediately began firing shots – injuring four people outside the market before going inside, the police commissioner said of Buffalo, Joseph Gramaglia. Three of the four people died.
ATTORNEY GENERAL GARLAND SAYS JUSTICE DEPARTMENT IS INVESTIGATING BUFFALO MASS SHOOTING ‘AS A HATE CRIME’
Once inside, he exchanged gunfire with store security guard Aaron Salter, who was a retired police officer. Salter fired several bullets at Gendron before the suspect shot him, Gramaglia said.
Gendron then allegedly walked around the store killing several other victims. When confronted by police, Gendron allegedly placed the rifle to his neck before dropping the gun and surrendering, the police chief said.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Gendron was arraigned late Saturday, where he pleaded not guilty. He was sentenced to detention without bail and is due back in court on Thursday.